French TV network TV5Monde targeted in ‘pro-Isis’ cyberattack
Thu 9 Apr 2015
French broadcaster TV5Monde is today working to regain control of its 11 television channels and online platforms after hackers claiming ties with the Islamic State hijacked its network on Wednesday evening, forcing the media group to show only pre-recorded content [French].
The television network was able to return in part to its planned schedule by 1:00am (23:00 GMT) last night, after the hacking group had suspended its broadcast services for three hours. Yves Bigot, the Parisian company’s director general, said that the network had been “severely damaged” by an “unprecedented attack” which would have taken weeks to prepare.
“We can only broadcast pre-recorded programmes. We are not yet in a position to re-establish our broadcasting schedule nor to produce programmes,” he said earlier this morning.
“When you work in television […] and you find out that your 11 channels are down, of course that’s one of the most dreadful things that can happen to you,” added Bigot.
The hacking group posted threats and shared a collection of files across TV5Monde’s Facebook page which it claimed were copies of ID cards and CVs of relatives of French soldiers involved in anti-IS operations. “Soldiers of France, stay away from the Islamic State! You have the chance to save your families, take advantage of it,” read one Facebook post.
TV5Monde took back control of its social media outlets at 2:00am today, however the network is not expected to be able to resume its full television services for a number of hours, if not days.
Bigot announced early on Wednesday evening that TV5Monde was “no longer able to broadcast any […] channels,” adding that its “websites and social media sites are no longer under our control and are all displaying claims of responsibility by Islamic State.”
The TV5Monde website remains offline, its homepage displaying a maintenance message and thanking users for their patience while it repairs the damage to its network.