Step-by-step Guide: How to implement and achieve a secure print infrastructure
Thu 16 Aug 2018
Whether you work in healthcare, finance, insurance, government etc. your data, documents and print infrastructure needs to be secure. Think it won’t happen to you? Quocirca Research shows that 70% of organizations have experienced one or more accidental data breach through printing.
Most IT departments reluctantly consider printing as part of their responsibility. Printing has never been considered as either sexy or viewed as innovative. It’s cumbersome, labor intensive and problems are driven largely by the end user, who has neither the inclination nor the responsibility to ensure print security, even when the documents carry the ‘confidential’ tag.
The scenarios that typically lead to breaches form part of our everyday working lives, but they are worth examining:
Sometimes security breaches are caused by the increased functionality of the printer hardware itself. With today’s auto standby green printers, dormant printers render themselves offline, leading users to print a further copy in frustration and several instances of confidential documents start to pile up.
An authorized internal user prints a confidential document to a shared printer. The user rushes to collect it, aware of its sensitivity. But, by the time he reaches the printer, it has been scooped up by mistake as part of a previous print output.
Disgruntled employees can take advantage of unintentional print errors. Intentional breaches are much harder to legislate for and their consequences are likely to be far reaching. Most firms will take extra precautions around HR and Payroll/Finance assigned printers, but are largely unable to secure the print facility for every member of management and their administrative support team who are also party to confidential information. Disgruntled employees that come into contact with unsecure confidential documents have an immediate weapon in which to progress their case against an organization.
Once you have understood how real the print security threats are within your organization and how they could and do manifest, it is time to go back to the planning stage. To set out a secure print framework, you should broadly consider three sequential steps:
- Decide – What level of print security you realistically need to achieve and how it can be best achieved.
- Document – Never forget that it is IT’s responsibility (not the named department on the printer) to achieve and demonstrate ongoing regulatory compliance when it comes to securing confidential print. Documenting results remains key – from cost savings to regulatory proof points.
- Deliver – A managed, automated, hassle and worry free print service.
In this whitepaper, you will learn a step-by-step guide on how to get there:
- How mistakes of increased printer hardware functionality and forgotten documents can cause breaches.
- How employees who can take advantage of unintentional print errors.
- Three sequential steps which include deciding, documenting, and delivering and how to prevent breaches.
- How to secure a complete end-to-end encryption for your environment
- How to deploy secure cloud printing from any device.
- How to deploy solutions that offer cost reductions such as secure pull printing.
The initial money, time and energy spent can really seem like a hassle to invest in security, but the cost of not securing your print infrastructure will run your organization a potentially bigger cost in the long run. Do you really want to take that chance?
Please fill out your details below to download this whitepaper: